!!EEK-O FRIENDLY HALLOWEEN!!
Last year’s green Valentine Party contest was so great and had such creative input from the student’s, parents and staff that Northwood’s Green School Committee is sponsoring a Green Halloween Party. This will count towards one of the activities required by the State of Michigan to maintain Northwood’s Evergreen status. Prize packs will be given out to classrooms with the most ‘green’ participation. Here are some ideas to get you started, but we know there are some pretty creative people here at Northwood – so show us your great green ideas – we are looking for at least 10!
1. Send out an email rather than a paper notice
2. Use reusable plates, cups or personal water bottles
3. If you are unable to use reusable plates and/cups, try to use biodegradable or at least recycled materials – paper is always better then plastic or Styrofoam (the worst!)
4. Consider finger foods instead of food that needs utensils
5. Instead of individual drink boxes, have someone volunteer to bring a jug (or cooler) of juice or lemonade
6. Don’t use disposable tablecloths – instead have someone bring in a decorative reusable fabric one (there are some available in the PTA room for classroom use)
7. Have the kids decorate recycled paper as their placemats
8. Have green food, such as kiwi, grapes, celery (ants on a log if you don’t have a nut allergy classroom), green peppers or green apples.
9. Don’t buy individual prepackaged snacks. Buy bulk instead and have a parent helper scoop it out for the kids
10. If crafts or games are part of the party, consider using as much recycled or borrowed things as possible
11. Ask to borrow decorations from parents rather than purchase new ones
12. Make sure to recycle as much as possible from the party when it’s over
Some great websites that have tons of ideas – familyfun.com or greenhalloween.org
Please complete the info below and return to the PTA mailbox in the office
EEK-O FRIENDLY HALLOWEEN PARTY
Room Parent and/or person completing form:
Green Activities Completed for the Party:
You can also e-mail your info to Julie Race – firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, thank you for helping Northwood maintain Evergreen status for
Michigan’s Green School Program.
Prize winners will be chosen and awarded the first week of November.
**printed on recycled paper**